Lately we’ve noticed that some of our favorite events to photograph have been themed parties. But the reason may not be what you think. Of course, the festive décor and creative themes are fun and interesting to capture, but we really love themed parties because of the people. Guests tend to play along, leave their long work day behind, and let loose a little more than they might at a traditional formal dinner. The genuine laughter, great conversations, and silly antics we photograph are priceless – they show real people having real fun.
This Casino Night produced by the creative Hosts DC team is an example on how to do a themed event the right way. They certainly upped the ante with a life-sized version of Craps. Guests rolled huge dice and won chips they could stand on! So much fun – even we were laughing each time someone tried to roll again!
Hosted at the luxurious Marriott Marquis Hotel DC, Hosts DC also ‘colored up’ their event by using red, black, and gold accents to their comfy lounge area, décor, and coffee bar – this was not your average casino party. They made it feel a little more intimate and comfortable than a huge casino. We loved the spaces where guests could sit and chat with a cocktail or cup of coffee.
Ready to host your own themed event? Here are our best tips:
1) Spice it Up — themed events are a lot of fun, which is exactly what attendees need after a long day of conference sessions and business meetings.
2) Go All In – If you’re going to do a themed party, make sure you include all aspects of your event in the theme from entertainment, lighting, décor and food & beverage.
3) Lighten Up – We take ourselves too seriously here in DC – nothing like a good themed party to loosen the tie and have some old-fashioned fun.
4) Photograph It! — These moments are too good not to share. Make sure to capture the fun so you can share it with friends, coworkers, and social media.
• Event Planner/Destination Management Company: Hosts DC | Website: https://hosts-global.com/locations/washington-dc/
• Venue: Marriott Marquis Washington DC | Address: 901 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001 | Event Website: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/event-planning/business-meeting/wasco-marriott-marquis-washington-dc/